Over the years there have been rumors that the final year of the Yankee Ultralights was quickly closing in, and I'm sorry to say we have had our last year. After several years, the interest has been dwindling, and we are not able to carry on.

We are working closely with the newly create Crow Island Aviators EAA Chapter out of Stow, Mass. We encourage all of our member who are looking for an active group who is fired up and ready to go to look into this club to continue to spread our love of aviation. For more information, please visit the Contact Page

What Is An Ultralight?



Do you want to fly without spending a fortune? Do you like the idea of low/slow flight... being able to land and take off where conventional general aviation aircraft cannot? If so, an ultralight might be just right for you.

Basically, an aircraft is an ultralight if it:

  • is used or intended to be used for manned operation in the air by a single occupant; 
  • is used or intended to be used for recreation or sport purposes only; 
  • does not have any US or foreign airworthiness certificate; and 
  • if unpowered, weighs less than 155 lbs; or 
  • if powered, weighs less than 254 lbs empty weight, excluding floats and safety devices; 
  • has a fuel capacity of no more than 5 US gallons; 
  • is not capable of more than 55 knots calibrated airspeed at full power;
  • has a power-off stall speed which does not exceed 24 knots calibrated airspeed. 
Although there are few restrictions on who may fly ultralights, you should get training from a certified instructor and become a registered ultralight pilot. If you're interested in buying an ultralight, join a local club where you can benefit from the experience of other club members.



Although we have attempted to be as thorough as possible. for the complete FAA regulations regarding ultralights, contact:


Supt. of Documents
US Government Printing Office
Washington, DC 20402
Phone: 202-512-1800


Or contact USUA at 301-695-9100 or click here for Internet link: 
US Ultralight Association

Request FAR Part 103, Advisory Circulars 103-6 or 103-7.